25 August 2010

Jumping through Hoops and Walking on Water!

I am nearly there!  After applying for my New Zealand Visa back in June, they have almost received what they need to approve me!  I needed a chest X-Ray to confirm that I don't have TB after spending nearly a year in SE Asia.  Thanks to a Dooofas in Darwin called Simple Simon, who informed me of all sorts of incorrect and half complete information, I have waited 45 minutes in a doctors surgery for an appointment I didn't need. I've walked in torrential rain in 10 inches of flowing road water to a hospital who refused to help.  I've rushed a road trip and posted results to an office who couldn't process them, and finally received a phone call in England from Shalane in Broome to confirm the X-Ray results had been kindly sent to a caravan park I no longer live on!
So yes, hoops I have jumped through, they have moved and I've jumped them again and finally, thanks to Shalane pretending to be me (and I never did ask her if she put on an English accent) the results are now in Perth, with the overdue official stamp, due to be posted tomorrow!  Watch this space!

In the meantime, I've been freaking my friends and family out with this video of two guys attempting to cross a river on Te Araroa.  For my family, who thought I was just walking up a few mountains, I have created a taboo subject!  I think Shalane will agree that after I sent it to her, we were both suddenly aware of what we were facing in the months to come.  Shalane and I are currently working from 2 ends of the world, shooting emails back and forth as our only method of communication, so when I sent her this link, I think we both realised what a challenge this trek will really be.  We are going into this adventure a little blind, there is only so much you can prepare and there is only so much preparation that will truely help with a mission of this type.  The video and others we found may have created a little anxiety and self doubt but the excitement and determination is still very much there!









So enjoy the video and keep those fingers and toes crossed for my visa.  My leave date is still due to be 7 September so let's all say a bit thank you to lastminute.com.

Bye for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment